- How to do Vasistha asana ?
- What to be aware of while doing Vasistha asana?
- Benefits of Vasistha asana
- Contraindications for Vasistha asana
To perform vasistha asana :
1. Come to cat stretch / majari asana posture:
Stand on hands and knees and feet relaxed on ground
Wrist, elbow and shoulder in one straight line, knees and hips in straight line- hip distance apart. Spine straight, neck straight
2. Now, walk one step back from both the knees
3. While breathing in roll both the toes in and breathing out raise both the knees up
4. This is to bring your body in plank posture – santolan asana
5. Start taking long and deep breaths here. Check and correct your posture –
Hands completely open on the mat.
Body straight but inclined at an angle to the ground
Toe and heels in straight line
6. Relax in the posture.
7. Now slowly as you breathe in, raise left arm and shoulder up towards the ceiling.
8. Bring left leg over the right leg. Inhale and exhale.
The final position will be your right side of the body facing towards ground and left side facing towards ceiling and front body facing forward in one straight line
9. Hold on to the posture, take 3-5 long and deep breaths, try to relax and balance with each breath.
10. While breathing out, Raise your left leg up and bring it back to the ground
11. Left hand back on the ground, come back to the plank pose
13. Now repeat from the opposite side- breathing pattern remains the same.
14. Let’s come out of Posture:
Slowly bend your knees and bring your hips down on the feet, relax your feet
Stretch your hands forward, chest down on the thighs and head down on the ground- Shashank asana
Take 3 breaths and relax.
1. Be aware of your breath, moving the body along with the breath makes it effective
2. Bring your attention your core muscles- abdominal region while in plank
3. As you come in Vasisthaasana, try to balance your body and attention completely to the breathing.
1. Strengths the core muscles, arms, shoulders and spine
2. Brings balance to mind and body
3. Improves stamina and concentration
4. Strengthens the nervous system
Who should avoid this practice:
1. People with wrist, arm or neck injury
2. Hernia Patients
3. One with high blood pressure or major heart ailment (surgery or clogged arteries etc)
4. Check out if the posture is putting a lot of pressure on the lower back that it starts paining, please come out of the posture as directed, relax and then continue. Start with being in one posture for lesser time and as you gradually practice, depending on the progress made, the duration can be increased.