- What is Surya Namaskar- Sun salutation?
- What are the benefits of Surya namaskar ?
Surya or the Sun is a dazzling symbol of strength & power, of health & life. It is revered since time immemorial. All hail the mighty for its profusion of brightness fortunately bestowed upon, for us to complete our customaries. Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) is, therefore a way of expressing one’s gratitude & indebtedness to the Sun; it is the means to summon all the positivity and energy in our lives.
Surya Namaskar is not just a warm-up routine, but it can be performed in advance for the imminent asana practice. Consisting of 12 positions done one after the other, benefits body, mind & spirit. Its innumerable benefits are stated below :-
- It balances the Surya Nadi, so imbalances related to imbalances of Surya Nadi can be cured
- It increases blood supply to the joints, lubricating them.
- It strengthens the whole body making it more efficient.
- The postures of Surya Namaskar improve the digestive system, the heart, liver, intestine, stomach, chest, throat & legs.
- It is highly beneficial for people of all ages.
- For women, it helps to regulate menstrual cycles and eases the pain of childbirth.
- When done with slow pace makes the body flexible; in medium pace helps to reinforce the muscles; and in fast pace is an excellent cardiovascular workout.
- When performed as an exercise, it contributes in weight loss. It also brings back the face glow; preventing wrinkles and halts the falling of hairs.
- It revitalizes our mind, making us the calmest ever.
Surya Namaskar is the asana of asanas, the fuel to the engine of human body. The following line summarise the essence of Surya Namaskar practice.
“Take a deep breath in,
Feel the sun on your soul,
Start fresh today,
Make peace your goal!!!”
Do get your yoga mats out and begin with at least three sets of this practice each day. Make it a part of your daily routine to infuse your life with the energy of good health and calmness of mind!