“Meditation is the tongue of the soul and the language of our spirit.”
Meditation is the food for our soul. It relaxes our mind and lets out all the negativity inside. It has been practised since ages by saints to achieve inner peace and connect with God spiritually. It is the union of mind, body and soul. It is the act of becoming aware of our feelings and emotions. It helps in healing oneself to experience serenity and tranquillity.
Most of us today are dealing with the problem of stress and anxiety. As per a report by the American Institute of Stress, 70% of people across the globe experience psychological symptoms caused due to stress. We are so busy in our lives that we often neglect our health and end up living in anxiety. Today most of us are suffering from either an anxiety disorder or some kind of panic attacks, and we are just not able to do anything about it. Consulting a doctor or physiatrist might be an option you would consider. Still, those sessions and medicines given by the doctor may work for some time and the problem starts occurring again once you stop eating medicines.
Needless to say, that the world is turning towards a more holistic and long term approach like Yoga and Meditation to find an effective solution.
Today doctors are also suggesting meditation along with taking medicines for such problems. Meditation is, if you may say, inversely proportional to stress. Researches have shown that the more regularly we practise meditation, the more tolerant it makes us towards stress and anxiety. It makes us more calm, empathetic, innovative and productive.
How can anxiety and overstimulation be cured by meditation?
Meditation helps to relax your mind. It makes your brain more productive, creative and controls emotions effectively. The research also finds out that our brain gets stimulated and is exhausted by multitasking and overstimulation. This, in turn, activates that part of our brain which leads to anxiety, stress and irritation. This calls for a need to make meditation a part of their lives so that it can improve concentration, keep negative thoughts away and make the mind more serene. Let’s discuss how meditation can help in overcoming overstimulation and anxiety.
- Meditation helps you find peace and tranquillity within yourself. It allows you to appreciate the nature around you and how to stay still in times of anxiety. Meditation in different forms can be practised regularly as mindfulness meditation helps in creating awareness about oneself, music meditation which helps control our emotions and calm our minds while we are listening to a soft song. Breath meditation which is quite popular helps you focus solely on your breath and live in the present moment. Water mediation has also proved to be a stress buster. Releasing tension meditation also works wonder as it removes all the tension and negativity from different parts of the body and eventually helps stay calm. So, one can choose accordingly and try any of these meditation techniques to get relief and move away from anxiety.
- Meditation helps one to stay balanced and grounded during times of anxiety. It makes you stable, strong and uprooted. It keeps you away from negativity and keeps your mind balanced and relaxed. Meditation in the form of yoga can be beneficial here. Trying different balancing poses like tree pose, standing hip opener all these will help maintain balance and stability. This will eventually help in reducing stress and anxiety.
- One of the most important factors that lead to anxiety is stress. Meditation has proved to be an effective and powerful weapon to reduce stress and calm your mind. It helps in achieving the relax state of mind and keeps us calm during uncertainties and challenging times.
- Meditation also keeps us physically and mentally fit and active. It has also seen that higher stress levels lead to deteriorating health. Stress leads to sleep deprivation, fatigue, weight loss, hair loss, etc. So, practising meditation will help tame stress which in turn will keep the body healthy and fit.
- Meditation helps in contemplating and finding inner peace. When we are anxious, an array of thoughts run our mind, and most of it is negative. So, meditation helps you to do some self-reflection and gives you the much needed alone time to ponder over. It helps you in achieving inner peace and releases all the stress and anxiety from the mind. It is like a therapy and one of the most inexpensive ways of self-care.
- Meditation makes you feel safe and protected. Feeling safe and loved also helps to reduce anxiety and stress. Practising meditation, as a part of your daily routine, helps cope with anxiety levels and radiate positivity all around.
A guide on how to get started with meditation
Meditation has tremendous benefits and practising it in the right manner can help you maintain a balance between your mind, body and soul. Let’s discuss some tips on how, to begin with, meditation:
- Try to find a peaceful and quiet place to meditate. Avoid noise and disturbance around you. Sit in a comfortable position and concentrate on your breath with eyes closed.
- Make meditation a part of your daily routine. Spare some time every day, say 10 to 15 minutes and see the magic unfold.
- Wearing clothes that are comfortable and breathable should also be kept in mind while meditating.
- Chant a mantra or a power word which gives you the energy to carry on your meditation and helps release stress and anxiety.
- Try to keep control of your thoughts and emotions and keep your mind free from negative energies. It might be difficult in starting, but eventually, with practice you will master over your thoughts.
Digital sources for learning the art of meditation
Digitalisation has taken everyone by storm and meditation is also one of those techniques which can now be learnt and practised from your mobile phones. There are many apps available which will help you to teach meditation as a part of your lives.
In addition to this, we at Hith Yoga have also started the Online Meditation workshop under two headings:
- Demystifying Meditation: A one day workshop to discuss the very basics of meditation
- Meditation 101: A monthly workshop whereby you will get one on one guidance on how to meditate effectively.
Over the years, meditation has become a trend and is widely practised by people for the immense health benefits it has attached to it. Making it a lifestyle and practising it daily helps in focusing better on your work, increasing productivity and improves our relations as well. Meditation can be a boon for those suffering from anxiety, depression and stress. So, what are you waiting for! Just switch to meditation if you are also feeling low and are experiencing bouts of emotions. Begin your journey today, and see the difference it makes to your mental and physical well-being.