Before we dig into Our Topic – Yoga Poses To Boost Sleep, Let us start this blog with a message we received from Sukanya,
“I am an ardent follower of Yoga. I first started practising Yoga around five years ago when I gained a lot of weight. One of my friends introduced me to the world of Yoga. At first, I was a little sceptical whether Yoga could help reduce weight. But when I started practising it, I realised that not only did it help me overcome my weight issue but also has immense benefits for our body, mind and soul.”
Yoga is the union of mind, body and soul. It is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Yuj’ which means to join or unite. It is a form of physical exercise and maintains a balance between emotional and psychological well-being. It means knowing one’s inner self and existing in reality. It is the purification of the mind from the negative and evil thoughts that surround our mind. It relaxes the mind and provides inner peace. Yoga is the art of living in serenity and peace. It is the path to lead a happy and contented life.
Yoga not only promotes self-healing, but it also has a plethora of health benefits attached to it. It reduces stress and tension. It increases stamina and vitality, improves the respiratory system. It makes the body flexible and boosts the immune system. It keeps the body healthy and radiates positive thoughts in mind. It helps deal with many health problems like high blood pressure, heart attack, digestion and other health issues. It is also helpful in improving the concentration levels among children. It also helps in losing weight. It is the holistic approach to health and well- being.
The Relevant Asanas for a Better Sleep Schedule
There are many asanas and exercises in Yoga. Practising regularly and in the right way will help in dealing with any kind of problems surrounding you. Yoga is also proved to calm the mind and promote sound sleep. Many people are suffering from the problem of insomnia. They are not able to get enough sleep. They wake up at night and feel restless. For a healthy mind, a sound sleep of 6 to 8 hours is a must. Yoga can help fix this problem. There are asanas specifically for boosting sleep in Yoga. These stretches will help relax the body after a long busy day and enjoy a peaceful sleep at night.
Below is the list of Yoga Asanas To Boost Sleep :-
- Balasana (child’s pose)- This Asana calms the nervous system and helps in sleeping peacefully. In this pose, the knees are wide apart, and the hip is sunk back to the heels with the chest between the thighs. The forehead should rest on the ground and move your hand forwards by the stretching the arms.
- Savasana (corpse pose)- This Asana is one of the easiest to practice. It involves laying down on the mat with the feet apart and hands lying in the carpet wide open. Close your eyes and relax your body, breathe naturally and take out all the negative thoughts from your mind. This will help you in sleeping better and with tranquillity.
- Virasana (hero pose)- This pose helps in stretching the muscles and of your knees and ankles. Sit in a comfortable position with your back resting on your heels and the top of the feet touching the ground. This pose helps in protecting against injuries. Taking deep breaths will help lower the heart rate and clean the mind.
- Baddhakonasana (butterfly pose)- It provides a great stretch to the inner things, groin and knees. It removes laziness and tiredness, which comes from standing for long hours.
- Viprita Karani (legs up the wall pose)- This pose helps in removing fatigue from legs and feet. It increases the blood supply to the mind which relaxes the mind and promote sound sleep—in this Asana, lying down on the ground on the back bringing one leg up followed by the other one and letting the feet rest against the wall. The hands should be kept on the sides with palms facing up. Close your eyes and keep taking deep breaths and relax your mind. Try to maintain the posture for as long as you can and then slowly bring the leg down back to the normal position.
- Supta Jaṭhara Parivartānāsana (supine spinal twist)- this pose stretches the spine and the back relaxing the body and relieving stress. It also stimulates the kidneys and intestines. It soothes the mind and helps in boosting sleep.
- Supta Badha Konasana– It is known to treat depression and stress which are the major causes of insomnia. It calms the nervous system and stimulates the heart. This pose requires the use of a pillow under the knees, head or spine.
- Marjaryasana and Bitilasana (Cat and Cow pose)- It is used to warm up and stretch the body. It improves circulation of blood, increases focus and attention, calms the brain. This breath exercise helps in balancing the body and mind. It relieves stress and helps in sound sleep.
Taking out a few minutes from your daily routine can help you relieve tension, relax your mind and body. Yoga should become a part of life and should be followed as a daily habit. It is important for the overall development of the individual. Every year 21st June is celebrated as the world yoga day to make the people aware and realise the importance of Yoga in their lives. Adopting Yoga in our lifestyle will help in gaining happiness and prosperity. If the mind is healthy, the body will automatically be healthy and sound. Yoga, therefore, should be incorporated in our daily lives so that we can enjoy a stress-free and balanced life.
See Also: Best 30-Day Yoga And Meditation Routine To Follow