Sitting on a chair after a rigorous day at work is like bliss for you. One feels relaxed and calm. It’s simple and easy but how about practicing a yoga asana which resembles the pose of the chair. Yes, it might sound easy, but it is not so. Sitting on your knees and bending them to form a chair and holding it for some seconds is not that easy. It requires constant practice and guidance. This asana is known as the Utkatasana, also known as the chair pose. It derives its name from the Sanskrit word Utkat meaning chair and asana meaning pose.
It is one of the sitting postures of yoga. It should be practised after doing all the standing positions. The asana is beneficial in strengthening the muscles of the arms and legs. It has many health benefits which make it a must for incorporating it in the daily routine. It is quite powerful and intense poses of all the yoga asanas. It is advisable to have an empty stomach and practice the asana early in the morning.
How To Perform Utkatasana (Chair Pose)?
Every asana should be performed in its right direction and way to reap the benefits. The asana should be performed with the right set of steps. It is challenging to perform Utkatasana so it should be done with the help of a yoga guru or instructor. The steps involved in Utkatasana are-
- Stand straight and erect on the mat with your feet apart.
- Now bring your arms forward and palms facing downward. Ensure your arms are straight keeping your elbows straight.
- Now slowly bend your knees and push your pelvis just like you are sitting on an imaginary chair.
- Keep yourself comfortable and keep your hands parallel to the floor.
- Remain conscious of your breath and stay in this pose while keeping your spine erect and lengthened. Hold the pose for a minute.
- Calm your mind and relax and gently come down to the original position.
- Modification of the asana- for beginners, who cannot raise their arms to a level, they can try by bringing it till shoulder level. The support of the wall can also be taken to support your hip.
- Precautions- people suffering from headache or low blood pressure should not practice this asana. Also, people suffering from leg and feet injury should avoid practising the asana.
Utkatasana should be included as one of the asanas in your yoga session. It has immense health benefits and is fantastic to practise this asana in your daily lives. The benefits of practising Utkatasana are-
- It helps in stretching the muscles of the hips, spine and chest.
- It also strengthens the lower back and torso.
- The asana helps in balancing the body and helps stay focused.
- The asana also helps in giving the abdominal muscles a good massage and activates the heart and digraph.
- It also helps in losing weight, especially from the buttocks.
- The asana also helps in relieving joint and knee pain. It improves the immune system.
- The asana also strengthens the legs and muscles of the knee, ankles and thighs.
- It also improves the digestive system and regulates bowel movements.
- Smiling is the key. The asana will become easier to do if you keep a smile on your face.
- This asana also helps in boosting the energy of the body and helps in circulating blood in the body.
See Also: 12 Amazing Benefits Of Uttana Shishosana