Plow Pose is also known as Halasana in Sanskrit word. Plow Pose is divided into Hala which means plow and asana means pose or seat or posture. Avoid this asana if you have a neck injury, menstruation, diarrhoea, asthma and high blood pressure, pregnancy, and practice it with the proper guidance of the instructor. Try to practice Halasana an empty stomach to avoid nausea and vomiting.
There may be some variations in of doing Plow Pose or Halasana. This pose can only be performed with the feet on the floor, so perform of doing Plow Pose or Halasana by keeping your hands on the back. With an exhalation walk your feet to the left as far as you can do this comfortably. One hip must be sink towards the floor and keep the pelvis in a neutral position. Hips must be as parallel to the floor. Hold the pose for 30 seconds and release the breath.
Steps of doing Plow Pose or Halasana
- Start the pose with Salamba Sarvangasana by exhaling and bending from the hip joints to slowly lower your toes to the floor above and beyond your head.
- Keep your torso perpendicular to the floor and your legs fully extended.
- With your toes on the floor, lift your top thighs and tailbone towards the ceiling and draw your inner groins deep into the pelvis, imagine that your torso is hanging from the height of your groins. Continue to draw your chin away from your sternum and soften your throat.
- Continuously press your hands against the back torso, pushing the back up towards the ceiling.
- Clasp the hands and press the arms actively down on the support as you lift the thighs toward the ceiling.
- Halasana is usually performed after Sarvangasana for anywhere from one to five minutes. Finishing the pose by bringing the hands onto your back again, lift back into Sarvangasana with an exhalation, then roll down onto your back.
Benefits of Plow Pose or Halasana
- Plow Pose or Halasana helps in calming down the brain.
- Stimulates the abdominal organs and the thyroid glands.
- It helps in stretching the shoulders and the spine.
- Helps to relieve the symptoms of menopause.
- It helps in reducing stress and fatigues.
- It is helpful for therapeutic for backache, headache, infertility, insomnia, and sinusitis.