Starting Posture for Paschimottanasana- Seated Forward Bend:
- For Paschimottanasana- Seated Forward Bend Sit down in Dandasana. Arms by the side of the thighs. Body relaxed.
Entering the posture for Paschimottanasana- Seated Forward Bend:
- For Paschimottanasana- Seated Forward Bend Raise both arms up facing towards the ceiling.
- While stretching the spine, bend forward from the lower back.
- The chest comes closer to the thighs, head trying to touch the knees and hands trying to touch the feet.
- The legs are stretched straight, knees not bent, toes point towards the body.
- For more intense stretch in For Paschimottanasana- Seated Forward Bend, you can bend the elbows to bring chest closer to the thighs (only of your body allows).
- Hold the posture for 3-5 breaths.
Coming out of the posture:
- Release the hands and lock the fingers.
- Stretch the arms, biceps near the ears.
- Spine and arms straight, come up from the lower back and raise the arms up over the head.
- Release the hands and relax the arms.
- Inhale while raising the arms up.
- Exhale while bending forward and down.
- Long and deep breaths while holding to the posture
- Inhale while you bring the arms back up.
- Exhale while relaxing the arms.
- Towards the lower back and the spine while stretching.
- Towards the breathing.
Benefits of for Paschimottanasana- Seated Forward Bend:
- Stretches the thighs and calf muscles.
- Massages and tones the abdominal muscles, intestines and pelvic muscles. Improves digestion.
- Tones the kidney, pancreas, liver, spleen and adrenal glands.
- People with major spine or lower back issues should not do this asana.
- People with hernia, low back problems, major sciatic issues should not do this posture.