Post-Pregnancy: Refocusing on Physical Health
The birth of a child is certainly a momentous occasion in the life of a parent, one that brings incredible joys, some apprehensions, and a whole new set of responsibilities. It can however be an especially challenging time for mothers, who now have to take care of their child along with dealing with the changes that have happened with their body during the process of pregnancy.
Getting back to a physical workout routine can be challenging, but it is by no means impossible. With the right support from your family, some confidence and motivation, you can definitely work towards perfecting your health and also shedding the weight that you may have gained during pregnancy. However, there are some important points you need to remember –
- Always have realistic expectations from yourself and your body. Remember that it has gone through a challenging process, and that coming back to fitness – and a lean body – will take time and effort.
- Do not think about engaging in any form of grueling diet regimes. These are more likely to make you irritable and fatigued rather than thin, and for breastfeeding mothers, it becomes even more dangerous to pursue such practices.
- Integrate exercise into your schedule as soon as you can. You do not need to be hitting the gym immediately – even taking a walk, cycling or even running around with your toddler can help you begin your weight loss journey.
- This is also a great time to begin integrating clean and healthy eating into your diet. Giving the processed food, alcohol, and sugars a skip in favour of greens, vegetables, and fruits can help in boosting your health and that of your child.
- Your journey towards weight loss and health are likely to face numerous obstacles and modifications. As a new mother, you will surely have many priorities that may range above your health. It is important that you do not let these demotivate you, and instead actively change and modify your routines so that you can focus on your health, too.
Get It Started – Exercises to Help You Out
If you wish to target your weight in particular, here are some exercises that can help you with it –
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) – Helpful in alleviating lower back pain, this asana helps in toning the abdomen and hips, strengthening the spine and shoulders, and also improves blood and oxygen circulation in the pelvic region. Thus, it is a great, stimulative pose that helps in stretching and strengthening the entire body in a gentle, effortless manner.
- Trikonasana (Triangle Pose) – A great way to engage the entire core and target the obliques and sides of your waist, this asana also helps in improving balance, opening up the chest and shoulders, and stretching the spine, hamstrings, and calves. A known stress-buster, it also helps with digestive issues.
- Vyaghrasana (Tiger Pose) – Also known for improving digestive health, this asana provides an all-around workout to the body by targeting the legs and arms for toning and actively engaging the hips and core muscles. As a dynamic pose, it also helps in getting the blood circulating going in the body, and helps in alleviating back pain.
- Kegel Exercises – Your pelvis and lower back muscles are likely to have been compromised from labour. They are however, essential to support your body and help you do daily activities, so it is essential that you get the power back in this region. Kegel exercises can help you achieve just that, as they target the pelvis muscles and increase their strength.
- Bridges – Another great strengthener for the core and hips, try a dynamic version of this yogic asana by doing multiple sets of the pose and holding at the top. Make sure that your shoulders do not go inwards towards your ears, and that they do not take your weight by actively engaging your abdomen and pushing it upwards.
- Walking – Going straight into hardcore cardio may actually do your body more harm than good in the long run. A good walk at a moderate pace for about thirty to forty minutes can help you in giving a cardio boost to the strength exercises given above, and also help you gradually increase your endurance so that you are ready to hit your peak performance.
Getting back into shape after pregnancy can certainly be a challenge, but it can also help you become physically and mentally stronger and healthier, which in turn means that you can enjoy more with your baby. So take your time, build up strength gradually, and you will see the weight loss results soon.