- Lie down in the supine position.
- Relax body.
Entering the posture:
- Raise both the legs straight up vertically towards the ceiling.
- Bend both the knees. Bring your thighs close to the abdominal area, knees close to the chest.
- Place your hands on the lower back.
- Now slowly and gently raise both the legs up straight.
- Use your palms to stretch the spine and legs straight- vertically aligned. Contract the abdominal muscles, toes pointing towards the ceiling. Chin touching the chest, hands supporting the spine, elbows placed on the mat.
- Hold the posture for 3-5 breaths.
Coming out of the posture:
- Bend both the knees, bring your thighs close to the abdominal area, knees close to the chest.
- Using the hands, gently bring the spine down on the mat.
- Make sure that you don’t raise the head up while placing the spine back down on the mat.
- Stretch the legs straight and release the hands.
- Towards the chest while breathing while entering and holding the posture.
- Towards the spine and the hips while stretching.
- Towards the neck and shoulders while coming out of the posture.
- Towards the breathing while entering, holding and coming out of the posture.
- Inhale while raising the legs up.
- Exhale while placing thighs close to the abdominal area, knees close to the chest.
- Inhale while raising the spine and leg vertically up.
- Long and deep breaths while holding the posture.
- Exhale while bending the knees back.
- Inhale while stretching the legs back.
- Normal breaths while relaxing after coming out the body.
- Stimulates the thyroid gland.
- Relieves mental and emotional stress and improves psychological health.
- Boosts the immune system.
- It improves blood circulation, respiration, digestive and nervous system.
- Helps in relieving haemorrhoids.
- Flexibility of the neck vertebrae is improved and nerves passing through the neck to the brain are toned.
- People with enlarged thyroid, liver or spleen must not do this asana.
- People with cervical spondylitis, slipped disc, high blood pressure, thrombosis or heart issue must not perform this asana.