Before we dig into our topic “Benefits Of Garudasana”, Let’s see how important is yoga in today’s lifestyle.
Since the advent of the pandemic, we are mostly glued to our computer or laptop screens. This is because of the work from home scenario being in existence. Sitting for long hours in front of the computer leads to shoulder pain and if not treated on time can lead to severe back issues. There are many asanas in yoga which cater to the specific problem of shoulder pain. One such asana is the Garudasana or the eagle pose. It is beneficial for providing relief from shoulder pain.
It derives its name from the Sanskrit word garuda meaning eagle and asana meaning pose. Thus, the name eagle pose. The posture resembles that of an eagle while practising the asana. As per the Hindu mythology, Garuda is believed to be the king of all the birds and is supposed to fight against demons. It helps fight against many health problems. The asana should be practised on an empty stomach and should be done early in the morning or in the evening before eating anything.
How To Perform Garudasana?
Garudasana is eagle pose might seem challenging to perform, but it is comparatively easy when done with proper guidance and steps. The steps should be followed correctly so that the asana can give maximum benefits. The steps involved in Garudasana include-
- Start the asana by standing straight and erect. Now, slowly bend your right knee and wrap the left knee around the right knee.
- Now raise your hands to the level of shoulders and wrap the right hand around the left hand. The elbows should be bent at 90-degree angle.
- Bring your hips down slowly and gently and balance the posture. The knees should move towards the midline instead of bending towards one side.
- Breathe slowly and deeply and hold the pose for a few seconds. Focus on your consciousness and release all the negative energy from the mind.
- Now come back to the normal position and relax.
- Modification of the asana- for beginners, it might be difficult to wrap your hands on each other. For this, stretch your arms and make them parallel to each other. Now hold onto the end of the strap and try to wrap the hands on each other.
- Precautions- people suffering from ankle or knee injury should avoid doing the asana. Pregnant women should also not practise this asana.
Benefits of Garudasana (Eagle Pose)
Garudasana is one of the most popular and beneficial asanas of all. It should be incorporated in the yoga session and practised under the guidance of a yoga teacher to be effective. It has many health benefits and is specifically beneficial for shoulder pain. The main benefits of Garudasana are-
- The asana helps in improving the focus and concentration of the mind.
- It improves flexibility of the legs, hips and back muscles.
- It provides relief from stress and tension.
- The asana also strengthens the calf muscles.
- It provides a good stretch to hips, things, shoulders and back.
- The asana helps in providing relief from health issues like asthma and sciatica.
- It also loosens the joints of the arms, legs and hips.
- It also helps balance the body.
- It improves the digestive system and decreases bowel movement.