Yoga is a psychological practice that works upon various emotional and mental cues and reflexes. It channelizes the energies of the mind and body to bring about stability and balance between the two. Yoga helps to deep dive into their own consciousness and boost self-esteem and confidence. It also helps in fighting depression and improves sleep cycle. Some of the best benefits of yoga on mental health :
- Yoga transcends the nervous system from the sympathetic to the parasympathetic system, which means that it moves the nervous system from flight-or-flight to rest-and-digest. It promotes positive energies inside the body, which makes you less anxious and enter a relaxed mood.
- It is also an amazing apparatus for self-awareness and introspection. Through yoga, you can get to know yourself and cultivate a more non-judgemental relationship with yourself. You become courageous with high will power. You have the confidence to face challenges with ease and know that you are still going to be okay at the end of the day.
- The yoking of solar and lunar in Yoga make us recognise qualities in ourselves that we were not aware of, helping us be more mindful. It’s a process of guiding the psychological or emotional energy in the right direction. It helps us to accept the weakness and faults and do the best with them.
- Yoga has been effective for patients dealing with depression and stress. It helps to calm the mind and loosens the nerves. Thus Yoga is a relatively low-risk, high yield approach to improve overall health.
- Yoga actually facilitates the brain to increase the release of gamma-Aminobutyric acid (GABA) from the thalamus. This can mimic the effects of anti-anxiety drugs and alcohol, making your brain feel lighter and you seeming to have mimosas on the beach!
- Practising Yoga emphasizes the connection between our minds and our bodies and encourages you to use both at the same time. It enhances awareness and thus helps to live in the moment with utmost self- awareness.