The Setu bandha asana is quite effective in relieving back pain. It also comes with other health benefits of curing thyroid, helpful in weight loss and increases the blood flow in the body. This asana resembles the shape of a bridge, and from there it gets the name bridge pose. The Setu Bandha asana stretches the muscles of the back, neck and chest and relaxes the body.
Before getting deep into the topic, let’s take a look at what Jasneet has for us:
“I recently started developing the problem of back pain because of the work from the home scenario and sitting on the laptop for long hours. The problem was persistent, and taking painkillers would not work. It is when one of my friends suggested I switch to yoga that would provide relief with back pain permanently.
At first, I was a little hesitant but thought of giving it a shot since I wanted long term relief from back pain. There are many asanas in yoga which cater to different problems and issues. For my back pain issue, I was recommended to do Setu bandha asana or the bridge pose. This was when I realised the power of yoga and how it makes you fit, strong and healthy. Plus it is an easy and convenient way of exercising and finding solutions to your problems.”
-Jasneet Kaur, Lucknow
How to do Setu Bandha Asana
The bridge pose is quite a simple and effective asana. It includes a series of steps to be followed in the right manner to get maximum benefits. The steps include-
- Start by lying on your back.
- Now bend your knees and keep your feet on the floor. The knees and ankles should be in a straight line.
- Keep your arms resting beside your body and palms facing downwards.
- Now inhale and lift your back from the floor. Roll your shoulders and see that the chin touches your chest without doing any movement.
- Tighten your buttocks and keep them firm. Keep the thighs parallel to each other and the floor.
- Lift your torso higher by pushing your hands to the ground.
- Breathe in and out slowly and hold the posture for one to two minute.
- Exhale and come back to a normal position.
- Variations- A variation in the Setu bandha asana can be tried if you want to take your yoga game to the next level. Make use of the elbows here and try doing it with a single leg. To make the posture more intense, try seeing the distance at which you keep your feet. The Setu bandha asana is also done as a counterpose to Sirshasana, Sarvangasana and Halasana.
- For the beginners in the asana, it is essential that while rolling their shoulders, they do not pull their shoulders away from the ears. Lift the shoulders very gently from the top of the ear and avoid pushing the shoulder blades from the spine.
Benefits of Setu Bandha Asana
The bridge pose has a lot of benefits attached to it. Let’s have a look at the advantages of incorporating it in our daily yoga regime.
- It helps to increase the circulation of blood in the body.
- It helps in improving the digestive system as it massages the digestive organs of the body.
- This asana helps in stretching and strengthening the muscles of the back, neck and chest.
- This asana also helps in relieving stress, anxiety and depression.
- It helps in reducing the problem of the thyroid and opens the lungs.
- It provides relief from Asthma, insomnia, high blood pressure, etc.
- It also helps in dealing with menstrual problems in women.
- The main benefit of practising this asana is it strengthens the back muscles of the body. It is instrumental in relieving back pain and traps the stress accumulated in the back.
- It also energises and rejuvenates the body.
- It opens up the chest, heart and shoulders completely.
- It is a beneficial asana for the working professionals who spend most of their time on the laptop or computer.