Yoga is the unification of mind, body and soul. It maintains a physical and mental balance to achieve a peaceful mind and soul. It increases flexibility and strength. The yoga asanas help in relieving stress and calm the mind. It helps in providing relief from various diseases. There are different yoga asanas which cater to varying types of problems.
Asanas are psychosomatic exercises which strengthen and balances the entire nervous system and promote stability. One such asana which increases flexibility and strength is the Ustrasana or the camel pose. Ustra means camel and asana mean exercise and the asana resembles the posture of the camel. This asana falls under the category of backward bend and is known to open up the heart. This asana is known to provide relief from many problems like asthma, bronchitis, diabetes, thyroid, etc. the asana is also suggested by the doctors for people who are suffering from obesity or have issues related to the kidney and reproductive system.
How To Perform Ustrasana?
The Ustrasana is quite beneficial and has great health benefits. It should be made a part of your daily yoga routine. But before you start practising the asana, it is essential to understand and learn the correct and right way of doing the asana. The steps for Ustrasana are-
- Start by kneeling on your mat and place your hands on your hips.
- Here the shoulders and knees should be in a straight line, and the soles of the feet should face the ceiling.
- While inhaling and exhaling, bring your tailbone towards your pubis such that you can feel a stretch in your navel.
- Now raise your back and slide your palms over your feet and straighten your arms.
- The neck should be in a normal position, and there should be no amount of pressure or strain on the neck.
- Now hold the posture for 30 to 60 seconds and release.
- Come back to normal position.
Modification of the asana- while practising for the first time, you might face difficulty with touching your feet with your hand without putting a strain on the neck. So, you can turn your toes and raise your heels. If you still fall short of reaching your feet, then using a wooden block is suggested. Make sure not to do the asana for more than 20 seconds in the beginning.
Precautions- If one is having some back issues or suffering from blood pressure, they should avoid practising the asana. It is advisable to practise the asanas under the supervision of a yoga guru or instructor.
Benefits of Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
Ustrasana is one of the intermediate levels of yoga asanas. It has immense health benefits and is popular for awakening the heart chakra and provides overall relief. It is a fantastic exercise for stretching all your muscles of the body to the core. The main benefits of Ustrasana are-
- This asana helps in improving the digestive system and provides relief from constipation and irritable bowel movements.
- It opens up the chest and abdomen and stimulates the significant muscles and limbs of the body.
- It is also instrumental in improving the problems caused by respiratory, endocrine, lymphatic, skeletal, and circulatory systems.
- It also provides relief from Lower back pain and improves the overall posture of the body.
- It activates the endocrine system and releases tension in the ovaries. It helps with issues in the reproductive system.
- It is also helpful with losing fat from the thighs and is recommended to people with obesity.
- This asana is beneficial with stretching and strengthening the spine, which helps improve flexibility.
- It also works well in balancing and improving the nervous system.
- It is also helpful with thyroid as it balances the thyroid glands.
- This asana is also helpful in balancing the menstrual cycle in women.
- It also removes fatigue and rejuvenates the mind and body. It provides confidence and boosts the energy in the body.
See Also: 3 Best Exercises For Knee Pain